Sunday, March 11, 2007

Bacchetta Carbon Aero



(Click on picture to enlarge)
















I just reached 500 miles on the Carbon Aero. Here are my impressions.The bike rode flawlessly from the get go. I had to dial in the seat and headrest, but aside from that I was good to go right from the factory.
I ordered the CA with Terracycle Accessories Mount on the front derrailleur post and the back of the Larry Graham headrest, perfect for Dinotte headlight and taillight. Also requested were two water bottle cages affixed under each side of the Bacchetta carbon seat. I mounted an OFA seat back bag, which doesn't interfere with the headrest. I have plenty of carrying capacity. With a little extra padding under the shoulders, the riding position is supremely comfortable. The headrest is a plus for long rides when fatigue sets in. My longest ride has been 80 miles. That was actually the first ride. I had a little trouble readjusting to the higher bb, but that took about 15 minutes. It has been a year since I've ridden a highracer. By the way, Bacchetta has redesigned the seat struts and seat mounting plate making a more solid seat setup with less flex. It is an improvement over my previous ti Aero.
The bike rides solid and smooth. Rough roads are no problem. The frame absorbs shock very well. I had some Nimble Crosswinds 650c tubulars from a previous bike that I put on the CA. I love the ride of tubulars combined with the CA.
I have done several rides in heavy seasonal Florida stop and go traffic. The bike handles very well under these conditions. Visibility from the riding position is good. I feel as if I can ride this bike anywhere without concern. Being in Florida, I have done zero climbing on the bike, but from the feel of the solid frame thus far, I predict this will be an excellent climber, as Larry Graham has stated in his review.
The engineering is amazing in its simplicity. Bike shop mechanics shouldn't freak out when I bring it in for service. The frame has a "belly" under the main tube and I haven't yet figured out how to mount the CA on a traditional bike repair stand.
There are only three potential drawbacks that I can see to this high performance bike. First is the price. My feeling is that the CA is well worth it. But, others might see the Corsa or the Ti Aero so close....why spend the extra money? Second, the high bb is not for everyone. I love the reclined reclined seat, high bb combination. The foot position relative to the ground in stop and go traffic is not an issue for me. I can see where it wouldn't be for everyone though. Third, although the carbon frame seems very tough, it is vulnerable to being damaged in crashes and rough handling. I would probably be very reluctant to pack this bike up for shipping or carrying on a plane, although I might find an easy way to do this that would satisfy me.
Bacchetta produces wonderful recumbents and their customer service is outstanding.



No comments: