Sunday, December 17, 2006



Monster Alterations

I made some final changes to the Monster and have it just right now. I uninstalled the FSA Cranks with Q-Rings and installed Rotor Cranks. The Q-Rings led to poor shifting, especially from middle to large chain ring. The chain was jumping over the big ring and I couldn't adjust the problem away without making the middle-large shift too difficult. I think the steep angle of the derailleur post on the Monster contributed to the problem, but who knows. At any rate, the Rotor Cranks are much better. I get a 26 tooth small ring, rather than the 30 toother on the Q-Rings. I need the lower gears for our hills. The Rotor Cranks shift much smoother and the extra power in climbing is noticeable.

I also took off the front fenders with mirrors attached and installed two Mirrcycle mirrors on the handlebars. Not running the front fenders makes the trike a bit more aero.

I took off the Aerospoke wheel and reinstalled the original Mavic wheel with ti spokes. The Aerospoke, which I have liked on two wheeled bents, didn't seem right on the trike after putting in many miles. The extra pound or so of weight was really noticeable on the trike. I have concluded that the lightest, most durable wheel is right for the trike. The Mavic wheel runs quieter than the Aerospoke also. This is of some importance since my head is so close to the rear wheel.

Finally, I switched out the pedals from Time Atac mtb pedals to Speedplay "lollipop" road pedals. I like the extra float of the Speedplays and I don't have to twist so hard to disengage.

Think I am finished fiddling with the Monster, at least for awhile.

No comments: