Sunday, July 09, 2006


I received the idlers yesterday for my Trice Monster and XXL. I installed today. The XXL installation went well. No issues.

The Monster was more complicated. See pictures below. The chain keeper bolts look they are on backwards, but the installation is correct. On the rear, to get float and to keep the chain keeper clamp secure and flush on the idler bolt I needed to buy an idler bolt that was a few mm longer. The frame cable guide interferes with the chain tube holder moving the chain keeper out and requiring a slightly longer bolt. Spacers didn’t seem to solve the problem. I had to buy a heavier steel bolt.

The short sections of chain tube for the return chain for both front and rear run on the inside.

The rear idler floats freely. The front idler has space to float, but it doesn’t float freely. I can move it with my hand, but it takes a little force. I fixed this by removing the bolt and cleaning the flange area. The flange had some glue-like substance on it.

On the front I had to have a longer chain tube to prevent the chain from rubbing on the frame cable guide braze-ons.

I did my first test ride of 15 miles. The trike rides much quieter and more smoothly. There is no chain rubbing on the frame. The idler and chain tube mounts do not go below the main tube. I was worried about ground clearance, but this is not an issue. I suspectsthe chain will be easier to clean, but harder to keep clean.

FRONT










REAR





1 comment:

LandSurfingPro said...

Super nice Rig Howard! Wish I could get the seat for my Hypersport! Looks so supportive.