Saturday, July 21, 2007









Customizing the Trice Monster










Trikes, maybe all bents, are nonstandard. It seems that many upgrades and modifications require some ingenuity because parts are not standard and every bike/trike model is different. This is either a plus or a minus, depending upon how you look at it. Some people like to fiddle, others do not. I have grown to like to work on my bents and get enjoyment from it.

Trike Work Stand - I bought the trikestand shown in this picture from trikestand@gmail.com. It was $299, which is expensive, but I have found it invaluable in working on the Monster without getting a sore back stooping over. The stand looks is sturdier than it looks and puts the trike at just the correct height. The trikestand comes apart in three pieces and is ideal for traveling. I keep it in the back of my truck and have used it often for pre and post-ride repairs.




Trike Lights
Shown above are the front and rear Dinotte lights that I have added to my Monster. Also notice the Radical Solo Lowracer bags that fit the Monster seat almost perfectly. My seat is a 2004 model. These bags may or may not fit later versions of the Trice carbon seat. I keep food for my journeys, spare tires and tubes and tools in the bags.

The headlight was easy to mount on the front derailleur post using a Terracycle Accessories Mount. The taillight took some ingenuity. I used one of the accessories mounts supplied by Trice with the trike attached to the rear dropout and secured to one of the fender stays. The light is held securely to the accessories mount and the battery pack is zip tied to the accessories mount. This setup works pretty well. I use the lights for my night rides and also on most day rides when their is traffic. I have received many positive comments from motorists about the increased visibility the Dinotte lights provide in heavy traffic.





Velocity 24 spoke 650c rear wheel with Hugi hub


I recently added a lighter, faster rear wheel. This is the smoothest rolling rear wheel I have tried on the trike. You will also notice that I have cut back the rear fender to provide some rain protection, but to reduce weight. The wheel was built up for me by All3Sports an internet triathlon shop that is based near my home in Atlanta. It is a very quite running wheel, which is especially nice for trikes since my head is so close to the rear end of the drivetrain. So far, the 24 spoke setup has held nicely. I will probably switch to a heavier duty rear wheel if I tour, but for day rides and group rides with two wheelers, this would be my choice.




Terracycle Idlers
I have replaced the stock Trice idlers with front and rear Terracycle Idlers. This accomplishes several things. First I have rid myself of most of the chain tubes, which makes for a quieter and smoother running drivetrain. There is still a short bit of chain tube for the return chain next to each idler. Secondly, the idlers provide, theoretically, a bit more power. Third, I save some weight not only from getting rid of the tubes, but also the mechanism that the tube clamps are attached to can be eliminated. I found that these idlers where tricky to install on the Monster, especially since Terracycle does not have the parts exactly customized to the Monster as yet. Using hardward parts and some new parts from Terracycle, I finally have it right.
Polar Wireless Computer
After trying the Garmin 305 Edge, I went back and bought a Polar computer. The Edge was not accurate. After calibrating my Polar to a 16" wheel I discovered that the Edge was measuring .5-.75 miles per hour slower. The Polar costs a lot less, although it doesn't have as many capabilities. The sensor is mounted close to the front right wheel and with the computer mounted on the main tube using another Trice accessories mount, it is within the 18" necessary to pick up the wireless signal. I get much more accurate and consistent reading with the Polar as compared with the Edge 305.

4 comments:

Vik said...

Hey Howard I'd be interested to hear how the fender works when you've ridden it in the rain. It looks too short and I think you'll end up with water thrown up onto your helmet/back. I had that experience with my Taifun and it wasn't fun...=-(

One other thing to consider is that with such a short fender even if you are happy with the protection it provides nobody is going to be able to ride behind you. In fact the next rider will have to hang way back if you are going at any clip.

Just some thoughts! Your trike looks great BTW. A real beauty...=-)

safe travels,

Vik

Unknown said...

Great Post! I am looking to buy monster mounts and would like some additional info regarding that.

Kunal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kunal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.