Wednesday, July 04, 2007







MY RECUMBENT STORY IN BRIEF

I transitioned from being an avid runner to being a passionate cyclist about 30 years ago. My wife bought me a traditional upright bike since I had Walter Mitty notions of becoming a triathlete. Due to my dislike of swimming, I never made it as a triathlete, but cycling soon overtook running in my affections. Although I never raced, for many years I participated in as many cycling events as my work schedule would allow.
About six years ago I retired from my career as a management consultant. One of my first retirement projects was to organize a week long tour of the Upper Peninsula in Michigan with my then 32 year old son. Problem was that we didn't have touring bikes. My son had seen advertisements for recumbent bikes and he thought it would be a blast to do our tour on bents. We both bought Rans V2 long wheelbase bents and off we went.
My conversion to bents had nothing to do with being uncomfortable on upright bikes, or getting older or any of that. I tried it because my athletic son wanted a different kind of adventure. And in the process I found a form of cycling that was enormously satisfying and challenging.
After a year I sold the Rans and bought what I think was the first titanium Aero in the state of Georgia. One day I walked into a local bike shop in Atlanta at just the time they were assembling a Bacchetta Aero to be displayed in their showroom. I watched while they assembled the bike, was immediately smitten, did a test ride around the parking lot and bought the Aero on the spot. I rode that wonderful bike for three years and now have a Carbon Aero and a Giro 20 in addition to a recumbent trike.
Recumbent cycling in general, and Bacchetta in particular, have been major factors in the enjoyment of my retirement years. I have done countless Centuries and many long distance events. I have done Bike Ride Across Georgia five times, four of them on Bacchetta bikes. In 2003 I did a self supported tour of the East Coast on a Bacchetta Strada. Although I am certainly not going to win any speed records, or am I particularly competitive these days, I love riding and have averaged over 7500 miles per year since purchasing my first Aero. This year my goal is 8,000 miles.
I have been health conscious and have participated in various aerobic sports most of my adult life. Cycling has been an important factor in keeping me healthy. After spending many years on a traditional bike and now recumbents, I would urge both cycling veterans and newbies, regardless of age, to consider recumbents. They are loads of fun, easier on the body, especially over long distances, safe and every bit as challenging and performance oriented as upright bikes. Whether you are a leisure rider or serious competitor the recumbent design can meet your needs. I doubt that I would be riding as many miles if it weren't for the recumbent, especially the Bacchetta Aero, which is light, fast and able to eat up the miles comfortably.
I had no idea when I started my first bent ride how important cycling would be to my life. At every opportunity I am now an ambassador for sport of recumbent cycling.

No comments: