Thursday, July 05, 2007

Why are Trikes so Satisfying?

I split my time about 50/50 between my Aero and my trike these days. Why, you might ask, would I like riding a trike when I speed along so nicely and comfortably on the Carbon Aero? It isn't that I favor the trike, but there are some days and some situations where the trike is more satisfying.

The Aero blends in nicely with other riders of all types. It is no longer unusual to ride an event with several bents, most of them Bacchetta Corsas and Aeros, with some EasyRacers and Rans bikes. With the trike I stand out, which is both good and not so good. At a recent event I received a couple of negative comments from upright racer types. One queried, "Why do they make those damned recumbents so low?" as he sped by in his peloton. A few other riders actually stopped me to ask a bunch of questions and offer compliments. Okay, the truth is, on occasion I like being different. The attention and the conversations generated are fun.

Secondly, riding long distances on trikes is very satisfying. I don't go as fast. Sometimes I am as much as an hour slower on the trike for 100 miles. Nevertheless, it almost always is a great ride. I can stop at intersections without unclipping. I can relax at rest stops without dismounting and the way I have my Monster set up everything, including hydration bottles are close and convenient. Yes, the second truth is that sometimes I am a bit lazy when I ride.

Next, I have the sensation of speed even though three wheels move along somewhat slower than two. My closeness to the ground gives a very special sensation, especially on fast descents. Now I know what kids in their go-carts feel like. At 65, it is nice to feel young. I guess that is the third truth.

Trikes are mechanically very interesting. I enjoy obsessing over the merits of direct versus indirect steering, just the correct way to mount a mirror on each side, which tires will be the most durable given the pecular cornering characteristics of trikes. I can spend lots of enjoyable time experimenting with various rear wheels to see if I can squeeze out a little extra speed as well as making sure the two idlers on my Monster are running smoothly. The truth is I am not mechanically gifted, but I do like fooling with these things. My two wheeler is much simpler and straight forward. But, with my new trikestand, I can spend enjoyable hours fine tuning my three-wheeled machine.

And then there is that silly flag to make me visible in traffic. I never ride in traffic without the flag plus front and rear day running lights (Dinottes). My latest is an American flag made by a nice lady who specializes in making interesting flags. Riding around my neighborhood on Independence Day flying my colors was a special experience. Generated lots of attention. See truth number one. Does riding around on that low trike with the flag waving make me look like a dork? Probably.

Finally, there is a special bond between me and other trikers. We know we share something undefined and unspoken. I am hoping to assemble a small group of trikers who will periodically ride together and maybe even take on some challenges together, like Sebring 12/24, for example.

Yes, trikes are special and I'll probably ride one for many years to come.

No comments: