Thursday, March 24, 2011

Broadway Avenue Peacock
A beautiful day with light winds out of the west getting a bit stronger towards the end of the ride.  I did 55 miles doing 2.5 laps of Longboat Key.  The weather is getting warmer (80s) and I will be starting out earlier and trying to finish before noon.   Today I started at 8:30 am while it was still cool.

With the rest day yesterday, I felt pretty strong, but the traffic and various interruptions kept my speed down a bit.

I love the HED-3 wheels I added recently.  They make the bike more aerodynamic, which is good for Florida constant winds.  I would like to complete 1,000 miles this month, and I am on track.  The flat terrain makes high mileage training days, day after day, more feasible without my getting unduly fatigued.  Each day I try to stop before getting too tired so that I will be fresh (sort of) tomorrow.

Gulf of Mexico Drive Snowbird Traffic
I woke this morning at 7:30 am, and drank a green smoothie (orange juice, whole grapefruit, 6 dates, a kiwi, a banana, several cups of mixed salad greens and mustard greens) before the ride.  This breakfast gives me lots of energy and is easy to digest, so it is fine to drink before hopping on the bike.    I carried a banana on the bike, which I ate at mile 45 or so, plus two water bottles with apple juice and water.   I also carry Vega whole foods chocolate energy bars in my seat bag, but didn't eat any today.  Except for two quick stops to pee, I rode straight on through.  Good workout.

No comments: