Sunday, September 18, 2011

Strategic Fitness Plan Lower Body Workout

For the past two days, I have had a minor head cold, and decided to take rest days.

I have reorganized my workouts (again) to include some additional exercises, sprint intervals and plyometrics.  I am calling these workouts Strategic Fitness Plan (SFP) workouts based on the book Ready, Set, Go by Phil Graham.  While I try out this approach, I will be doing 3-4 sessions per week in the gym and 1-2 longer sessions per week on my bike outdoors.  The plyometric exercises I have started on are karate-type moves.  I will be researching these power-oriented exercises to add to my repertoire.  So, in general, my weekly routines will include weight training, sprint intervals, power exercises, longer aerobic sessions and stretching.  Previously, I have concentrated on mainly long, slow distance.  I believe my fitness will improve by doing a more varied routine.  I will have to work into the power and sprint exercises, as they are quite demanding.  Even though I am in good condition, I have not done interval type training for many years.  I will need several weeks to work into these safely.

If I decide to do a long bike event, for example, I will change my routine 6 weeks or so before the event and include more endurance work. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting? I'm pleased I discovered it though, ill be checking back soon to find out what additional posts you include.weight lifting