Thursday, July 28, 2011

My favorite training rides start at the Budweiser Brewery in Cartersville and wind through beautiful countryside with very little traffic.  All the routes from the Brewery are hilly, about 45-55 feet per mile, depending on the course.

Today's ride started at the Brewery and went to White, GA, about 4.5 miles from the start.  I then did a 21 mile loop starting and ending in White, and then back to the start, for a total of 50 miles.  It was a very hot day, in the high 80's/low 90's with high humidity. I felt strong for the first 35 miles or so, and then the heat and the hills started to wear me down.  The total climbing for the day was about 2700 feet.

The day started early with a green smoothie (2 oranges, banana, 1 TBSP ground flax seeds, 2 medjool dates, 2 large leaves of organic kale, and 3 cups of organic baby spinach.  I ate lots of dates and a banana during and after the ride, together with a cold peach, which tasted great at rides end.  For lunch I made a whole wheat tortilla with hummus, a mashed baked potato, Vidalia onion, one cup of shredded baby spinach and one cup of shredded romaine.  Dinner was a great vegan dish created from a Gourmet Magazine recipe -- couscous, baby carrots, mushrooms, onions and raisins.  I ate a banana and about 2 ounces of nuts (walnuts and almonds) for dessert.

No comments: