Saturday, August 06, 2011

In last Thursday's post, I mentioned that I was basing my current strength training routine on Frank Zane's training DVD.  Frank has a long list of  victories in his bodybuilding career including My Olympia in 1977, 1978 and 1979.  He has written several books, Frank Zane: Mind, Body and Spirit, and Fabulously Fit Forever.

His training DVD is a useful guide for weight training.  Although I have never met Frank, I have corresponded with him via email, and we have talked by phone.  My home gym is equipped with several pieces of equipment that Frank recommended, including a device that he created, the Leg Blaster, which provides a way to do deep squats without the risk of back and knee damage that comes with traditional barbell squats.

I was attracted to Frank as a 'coach' for weight training several years ago because his advice is age-adjusted, he publishes a quarterly newsletter that gives helpful training tips, and his books and DVD have been very useful in guiding me towards effective training routines.  He also provides advice on appropriate form for doing the exercises in his recommended routines.

Currently, I am doing Frank Zane's 3 way split routine.  I workout in the gym three days per week.  On day 1, I exercise the back, shoulders and chest.  On day 2, the workout is for my legs (quadriceps, calves and hamstrings).  On day 3 I train the arms (biceps, triceps and forearms).  I do each series once per week, which provides plenty of rest.  The sessions are quite intense and put a lot of stress on the body parts being exercised.  I am using fairly light weights and high repetitions, in order to reduce the chance of injuries.  I will gradually increase poundage as my fitness improves.

I am enjoying the workouts, and am starting to see improvements in strength and body shaping.  My goal is to maintain strength and healthy muscles and bones.  I am beginning to see why strength training may be the most important exercise for people as they age because this type of training helps prevent muscle loss and strength decline, a natural part of getting older.

No comments: