Saturday, August 20, 2011

Two of my favorite strength training websites are Logan Franklin's Gray Iron Fitness and Richard Winett's ageless-athetes.

I have learned a lot about strength training and body building from these athletes.  Logan is in his mid 70's and Richard in his mid-60's.  Both are dedicated to fitness for older folks and prescribe resistance training to keep us fit and young looking.



I was introduced to Richard's site recently and have subscribed to his excellent newsletter Master Trainer.  In one of his recent newsletter he talked about the workout routine that he has settled on as he has moved into his 60's.  He trains four times per week with a 2-way split routine, upper body and lower body.  He does lower body on days 1 and 3, and upper body on days 2 and 4.  He does cardio work after some of his weight routines, and light cardio on every other day of the week.  I probably will not follow this routine exactly, but I am trying the 2-way split that he prescribes.  Today was the first day with a lower body workout.  I am doing it a bit differently.  He does 19-20 exercises covering all the body parts with 1 set per exercise.  I am doing 7-8 exercises with 3 sets each and increasing the weight on each set, while reducing the reps.  Today, I warmed up with 10 minutes on the stationary recumbent bike, did lower body including two ab exercises, and then finished with a hard 30 minutes interval session on the recumbent indoor trainer.  Good workout.

Before the workout this morning, I had a banana and 2 medjool dates.  After training, I had a whole wheat tortilla with hummus, whole wheat spaghetti and kidney bean/corn/tomato sauce (leftover from last night) 1/4 avocado, some onions and some olives.  In mid-afternoon, I made a smoothie with Vega Health Optimizer, two oranges, and a cup of mixed frozen berries, and a banana.  For dinner we had brown rice with curry vegetables.  Ate some more bananas and dates after dinner.

No comments: